Cemetery History



The cemetery dates back to 1870, when the first grave was made for J. G. Anderson.  There were others buried in the cemetery before records were kept.  cement boundaries were poured to mark some of the earliest grave sites.  Fences were also put up to protect the cemetery from outside forces.  There were many large and ornate markers placed on the graves.  Today you will see some of these cement markers are still there.  Fences were removed to make it easier to maintain the grounds.  

In 1936, the Garden club decided they wanted to help beautify the cemetery.  The Garden Club planted grass.  After some time, a few families would give money to pay for cleaning the lots, planting the grass, and watering and cutting the grass for a year.  Each woman from the Garden Club would take her turn for a week, watering, cutting and mowing the grass.  They did this for three years until the city water was piped through to all the lots.  When forty lots were put in and growing, the north end was made into parks, the Garden Club gave it back to the town, then the town put pipes in and hired a caretaker.

The gates at the entrance of the cemetery are the gates that were on the church grounds.  They were moved to the cemetery when the church removed their fence.  The church steeple was also moved to the cemetery when the church was torn down.